Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Shivaji Raja as seen by a person during 1st Surat sack

This scene is reported by an Indian peon of Dutch East India Company. And it is one of my favorite for its liveliness.

There were talk in the Surat town, that Shivaji and his troop has finally left. But fear has so much engrossed the city that no one was ready to step out and have a look around. But one of the Indian peon of Dutch EIC volunteered to actually roam around and verify the news.
The peon in disguise went out and came back in the evening and reported, 


"I have been to all parts of the town and have seen houses of all the chief merchants burnt down to ashes. I took a walk in Maratha camp and no one suspected me. However there were no tents. I saw Shivaji, and he himself was sitting on the ground and there was no tent pitched in for him too, but only a cloth tied from the trees for the purpose of protection from sun, the booty laden on oxen and horses had been brought in and laid before him"
Sketch of Dutch East India Company
~unknown source~
(my thanks to the 'unknown' who provided it)


~Ref - Sir Gajanan Bhaskar Mehendale~

No comments:

Post a Comment